Friday, January 23, 2015

Datura, Angel Trumpets

Colored pencil on Stonehenge paper 6x8"
Not Available

I was inspired to "somewhat" of "an after" of a painting with the same title by an artist named Wilhelmina (Billie) Greene. She did hers in watercolor with a lot more leaves in the lower half and I just loved her use of the coral color in the background. 
I've been doing a bit of studying about negative space and I wanted to try a bit of blending using solvents with colored pencil so it seemed obvious to drop off Billie's lower leaves.
This C9 bulb was my first attempt at blending with solvents and colored pencil. (My husband is going to really miss these C9s when they completely go away.)

On another random note: I read an inspiring article about the illustrator Elaine Duillo who said she used a lot of negative space in her paintings. In case you don't know her name, she was the artist who did all those romance covers featuring Fabio back when and made him famous. Ooooh Fabio. So fabulous! You can see loads of her work on Pinterest. Dang that Pinterest! It's so addicting!
 Cheers all.
Until we meet again.
Karen

4 comments:

  1. Your angel trumpets are beautiful!! I love the soft effect, and the background really works. I will have to look up Elaine and Fabio and I am as addicted to pinterest as you are. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Datura is really gorgeous, and you managed to make even a lightbulb interesting, great shadowing and super colors in both works .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why you like the coral color so much. It is beautiful next to the white and green. Lovely design too,

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...